I might have discovered my favourite muffins with this new recipe. These grain-free, paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist and delicious. Once you make them the first time, everyone in your family will be asking for them again and again.
I like to use a combination of almond, arrowroot and coconut flours in my grain free baking. Almond flour is the primary flour I use in my baking. It is rich in antioxidants, prebiotic fiber and monounsaturated fats, to help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes. On its own almond flour is fairly dense, so I add some arrowroot flour.
Arrowroot flour helps to lighten the texture. Phytonutrients in arrowroot have been shown to have anti-bacterial, analgesic and antispasmodic properties. Coconut flour works well with almond flour and arrowroot.
Coconut flour has anticancer and antidiabetic effects, supports immune function and prevents cardiovascular diseases. I only use a small amount of coconut flour relative to the other flours because it absorbs a lot of moisture. For this reason coconut flour cannot be used as a 1:1 substitution with other flours, and recipes with coconut flour will almost always have extra eggs to counteract the drying effect it has on baked goods.
A kitchen should never be without bananas, either on the counter, in the freezer, or the fridge. Once bananas ripen, you can refrigerate them to cease further ripening. They’ll last another 3-5 days in the fridge. And NEVER throw away bananas. A beautiful, perfectly ripe yellow banana is a delicious snack, but overripe bananas offer endless possibilities. In addition to these paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, I’ve created several delicious recipes using bananas:
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Super Simple Banana Cookies
- Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
Fun facts about bananas:
- Bananas have been consumed for 1000s of years.
- Bananas are actually classified as berries. A berry must contain seeds inside the flesh, not outside.
- “Hands” and “fingers”: A row of bananas can be called a hand and singles can be referred to as a finger.
- Banana leaf fiber can be used to make textiles.
Fun facts about banana peels:
- Banana peels have therapeutic antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- You can mix banana peels with water in your blender to create a paste that can be used to clean your silver.
- You can brew a tea using banana peels. Just add honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and turmeric for a calming, antioxidant rich tea.
- Banana skins can be used to shine leather shoes or purses. Simply rub it on and remove it again
I hope you love these paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins as much as we do. If you make these, or any of the recipes on Lori Moore Holistic Health, I’d love to hear how the recipe turned out for you in the comments below! You can also follow me on Facebook and Instagram.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand are dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift together almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a second bowl mash banana. Add eggs and whisk together. Stir in olive oil, coconut sugar and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add in chocolate chips.
- Fill parchment lined muffin cups with batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Makes 12 muffins.