Did you even know that there is a day called National Chocolate Chip Cookie day? I was contacted recently with questions about how to make chocolate chip cookies gluten free and vegan for a newspaper article for National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day on August 4. I realized then that I didn’t have such a recipe and it was time to create one. These Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are the result. They are soft, chewy and perfectly sweet. They’re simple to make and sure to please everyone. Two of my taste testers were my neighbours, a young couple, one of whom is a farmer and the other a dietician. They are used to delicious and tasty food. The response that came from their home about these cookies is “they’re pretty damn good!” That’s high praise as far as I’m concerned.
I imagine everyone grew up loving chocolate chip cookies like I did, and we probably all have comforting memories of chocolate chip cookies. They were more of a special treat than peanut butter cookies in our house because a bag of chocolate chips was more of a luxury item in my mom’s grocery cart. But when she made with them, with four kids they always disappeared in an instant.
About 15 years ago, one of the local high schools I worked in had a group of students who made cookies every day to sell at recess. These cookies were HUGE and filled with warm, gooey chocolate chips. I was at that school every day until recess, so I made a good contribution to their fund-raising efforts.
When my love and I first met he had a daily lunch routine that included packing two of the #1 selling brand of chocolate chip cookies. Always just two cookies (he’s so disciplined ;). It’s been over a decade since he had one of those cookies and probably never will again. These days it’s all about homemade cookies with as much nutritional goodness as possible, and that includes Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Add chocolate chips to any cookie and the taste factor goes up. My Super Simple Banana Cookies are a quick and easy way to make breakfast or snack cookies with only four ingredients. Chocolate chips make them extra special.
For vegan chocolate chip cookies, I usually use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips, but when I’m feeling bit a more ambitious I make my own chocolate chips. Whether you make your own or buy chocolate chips, these Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, chewy, and “pretty damn good!”
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons hot water)
- ¼ cup coconut oil at room temperature
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons nut or oat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips Enjoy Life brand are dairy free
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Make flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for five minutes so most of the water is absorbed, and mixture becomes gelatinous.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together coconut oil, almond butter and coconut sugar. Add milk, vanilla and flax egg and mix in.
- In a separate bowl combine almond flour, brown rice flour, baking soda and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mix in to distribute throughout the cookie dough.
- Roll into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten out the balls to about 2.5” in diameter. Cookies will not spread during baking.
- Bake 14-15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cookies cool for 15 minutes.