This Lemon Blueberry Cake is the perfect balance of zesty lemon and sweet juicy blueberries. It’s simple to make and easy to transport to your next summer picnic or office potluck lunch.
It wasn’t a hardship having to make this more than once to be sure the recipe was worth sharing with you. My favorite dietician/neighbour/taste tester gave this cake two thumbs up for its lemony flavour and super-moistness.
I’ve been thinking about making a cake for a while, and what’s left of the frozen blueberries from last summer need to be used up to make room for this year’s blueberries that we’ll be picking within the next couple of weeks. If you’ve got an abundance of blueberries or are planning on getting your hands on some while they’re available this summer, you might want to also check out my recipes for Blueberry Banana Pancakes and Blueberry Smoothie.
Blueberry cake was always a favorite in my house growing up, but it was nothing like this Lemon Blueberry Cake. That traditional cake was made with white flour, white sugar, and white vegetable shortening. I love the memories associated with that family favourite, but cringe now to think of using those ingredients that contribute to chronic inflammation. It’s time to make new cake memories, starting with this Lemon Blueberry Cake.
This cake is made with almond flour and coconut flour, so it contains protein and healthy monounsaturated fats. Almond flour also contains manganese, vitamin E, calcium and fiber. This cake, like many sweets made with nut flours, uses eggs for structure and to absorb excess moisture and oils in the flours.
Honey is my sweetener of choice in this recipe. It is available locally and is not refined and processed like white sugar. Honey bakes faster than sugar, so it is important to reduce oven temperatures when baking with honey. This cake bakes at 325° and has a beautiful golden brown color when it comes out of the oven.
If you’re more of a raspberry than a blueberry fan, replace the blueberries with raspberries. Lemon and raspberries are an equally amazing taste combination.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
lemon and sweet juicy blueberries. It’s simple to make and easy to transport to
your next summer picnic or office potluck lunch.
- ½ tbsp coconut oil to grease pan
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour + extra to flour the greased pan
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour 9” square baking dish with coconut oil and coconut flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add honey, lemon juice and lemon zest and whisk together.
- Measure dry ingredients into second bowl and whisk together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Add blueberries and stir just until blueberries are dispersed in batter.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pan.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes before slicing and enjoying.